When I was maybe 10 years old, one of our neighbors gave us a dresser.
It looked something like this:
(picture from our old apartment - I forgot to take a "before" picture!)
We didn't like it very much at all,
but it was really functional (all those drawers!) and we couldn't justify getting rid of it.
When we made our move, it almost didn't make it onto the truck...
and once it was here, it was too long to carry up the steep stairs to our bedroom.
So we put it in our living room (temporarily, we said...until we could find something we loved)
and we slowly evolved into thinking about it differently.
Soon, we had a vision.
Last weekend, we decided that the dresser transformation would make a good project
so we got right to work.
My wonderful husband did most of the hard labor:
cutting, sawing, hammering, sanding.
Then he turned it over to me for painting.
By the time we were done, we could hardly tell it was the same piece of furniture.
We are debating whether to put legs on it (I think we will)
and I still have some work to do on the insides of the drawers,
but we are so happy with the way it turned out.
And it's definitely nice to have some books in our living space again.
We feel pretty lucky that we kept it after going back and forth about it so many times
and now we are looking for another transformation project - this one was so fun!